Thursday, February 24, 2011

Amazing Tescadero #15 (...you never forget Gwen Stacy)

I tweeted yesterday I was in a good mood today because "Gwen Stacy contacted me- wanting to go out", it occurred to me that my non-comic fans have no clue the significance of that statement. Well. Here goes.




Some of you who know me well, you know that I've compared my life to Peter Parker more than once. (notice I didn't say Spider-Man) because it's Peter who I share SO many things with.
Ok,
So I've never swung through the Manhattan skyline on synthetic webs, but I have felt the sting of peer abuse, and mistreatment for being different. Usually this kind of unjust behavior came from other guys. I was the tiniest kid in the gym trying out for baseball, There was a brief time when I wanted to study physics in college, (Peter was also a scientist) and I was an oddball being from another place in a new city; just a cluster fuck all the way around. The actual sting- the match that burned the worst, came from the women. Just like Peter- I got no love in the earlier part of my teenage years.

And just like Peter... I got a sudden surge of confidence. Thanks to Tescadero. (although, my confidence didn't come from a radioactive spider.) Also just like Peter- I always felt my sudden confidence wasn't enough to get her. Some of you may be thinking-  "You mean, Mary Jane Watson."

No. Nah.
Gwen Stacy. It's always been about Gwen Stacy. See, originally Peter didn't love Mary Jane when he first met her. In fact, he couldn't stand the girl. Mary Jane was simply a blind date from his Aunt's best friend Mrs. Watson. Now it'd be a lie to say he wasn't blown away when he suddenly and very unintentionally met her- (You'd be wary of anyone an elderly person tried to hook you up with too. Boy were we surprised.) but Mary Jane was a party girl, always looking for the next big thing that she could be the center of. To a shy, modest, kid like Peter...

...Mary Jane wasn't a catch. She was a chore.

Gwen Stacy was the beautiful girl in Peter's freshman college class that all the guys stared at when she walked past. She somehow managed to balance a social life that fit her in crowd looks, and simultaneously be pretty freakin' bright. She was a science major, the best friend of captain of the football team. The girl that everyone knew. Peter initially ignored her subtle- (and not so subtle) advances for two major reasons, one he had a sickly aunt, and a responsibility to the city to be Spider-Man, and two- he refused to believe that he lived in a world where Gwen Stacy could even possibly she would want anything to do with him.
But oh, was he wrong.

Similarly to Peter, I kinda did the same thing. I met my Gwen Stacy in high school. I pined after her in secret mostly, until it was revealed against my will that I adored her. She was the it girl in my class by far, and if memory serves me she was usually on the honor roll. I can't say I've had the pleasure of being anyone's list, unless it was a shit list. If anything, I frustrated my teachers for failure to apply myself to anything. I was "wasting my brilliance" they said. I thought the whole thing was pointless. Arrogant. Dumb. I thought most peers were pretty dumb compared to me. Looking back, I never had to dumb down any of my jokes for her.

However, with this great body came the responsibility with it. Like Gwen, she got hit on constantly by the jocks, the pretty boys, the 'thugs' ...if there was such a thing in high school.

To a blatant outcast like myself- it always looked like it didn't bother her at all. In fact, I thought those were the kind of guys she wanted. I summed up her attitude towards me- never being mean or shunning- like Peter, as a girl who didn't want to hurt some harmless guy's feelings.

I remember reading Peter, there were times when Gwen would go on the occasional date with Flash Thompson. (the very guy who teased Peter all throughout high school, yet was infatuated with Spider-Man. irony.) My Gwen Stacy never dated anyone officially, but aside from her many hopeful suitors, she had a clique of heavily opinionated females that made my plight even worse. (They weren't the biggest fans of me.) I used to walk her to the train station after school, the only time I could get her away from all of those distractions, and sometimes I'd ride with her to her stop. I'd buy her birthday gifts, and suffer the laughs of my own friends...as she took them, said thanks, and went about her business. The jeers and side looks of everyone killed any hope I thought I had.

And then just when it became evident that Gwen and Peter would hook up, enter Mary Jane Watson.
Another super attractive woman that's interested in me/Peter. A red head. Dude. I wanted to be with MY Gwen. But I ended up on a 6 year long red headed roller coaster ride named Nicole.

I was coming into myself, starting to fill out physically, not giving a fuck about society, rebelling against authority, set to drop out of school, and shamelessly shagging all sorts of female trash that was embarrassed to admit publicly that I was sleeping with them. Pretty girls with no sense of future, and no weight in our pointless relationships.



Hindsight is 20/20.


Unfortunately for Peter, Gwen was murdered by his arch nemesis (or possibly him-it's more tragic that way) almost immediately after they got over all their obstacles and became a legit couple. That's the breaks (no pun intended- read the story to get that) of life sometimes.

My Gwen Stacy died, well at least, my crush on her- when I left to go serve in the military. I mean, really.
Who goes back to their high school crushes?
I eventually moved on and found brand new girls to envision a future with. Because life goes on, and honestly I figured she'd meet some great guy and make beautiful children together that we'd all feel jealous of at the ten year reunion.

My Mary Jane in high school almost became my wife. That 6 year roller coaster ride was strange, yet serious at times. Had I married her, then Peter and I would've been IDENTICAL.

However, unlike Peter, I never jumped that broom. Yet, just like Peter- as much as I adored (and still do in a weird way) Mary Jane, she could never fill Gwen's shoes completely.

Peter's Mary Jane actually became Mrs. Parker- but you kinda know that story already, don't you? Although... Mary Jane had to grow up face a reality check first. (But that's another story that you can read on your own later.)

And here we are. My Gwen Stacy shot me a text today. She asked me if I wanted to hang out at a happy hour or something, and after talking to my female best friend- (who claims she knows for a fact that my Gwen kinda had a very small thing for me, once) I think it's only fair to every guy who ever thought some girl was out of his league- and my fictional bro, Peter, to go balls to the wall for this one.

Isn't it funny? No matter how many Mary Jane Watsons or Felecia Hardys (another Spidey character- the Black Cat) that come into your life, despite how much you love them, you never really fall out of love with Gwen Stacy do you?

I always pictured there would be a part of me that would attended that ten year reunion just to see her. Just because she was Gwen Stacy. See, Mary Jane taught us Peters how to care, and eventually how to compromise, communicate, how to sacrifice. Felecia taught us how to lust, how to embrace that adventurous...that primal desire to be friends with a lover... but Gwen- Gwen taught us how to dream. How to be silly in a futile pursuit...

...Gwen taught us how to love.

And who knows?
Maybe I'll have a story for tomorrow. Maybe I'll have a story that will be our story for good.
Nah.

Wish me luck.

If you want to read more about Gwen Stacy: ( These are GREAT reads even if you aren't into comics.)


Check out:
"Spider-Man: BLUE" <-- click for amazon link

Written by Jeph Loeb, Art by Tim Sale A six issue story arc ('02-'03)- (now only sold in hardcover)

This is an awesome retelling of the events from The Amazing Spider-Man #43-48 and #63. It highlights the love triangle between Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane and Peter. Recounting Mary Jane's classic first appearance and the now iconic line, "Face it Tiger,    You've just hit the Jackpot!"



AND...


Spider-Man: The Death of Gwen Stacy <-Amazon

Written by Gerry Conway, and Stan Lee. Art Gil Kane

This collection recounts Amazing Spider-Man #96-98 and #121-122 Three issues that showcase the beginning and cryptic soon-to be end of Peter and Gwen's relationship and the two issues of her murder by the hands of the Green Goblin, followed by Spider-Man's vengeance- and the Goblin's (apparent) death.



2 comments:

Troy said...

Careful. Your geek is showing. Lol!
Nah nah...in all honesty, I've had the audacity to compare aspects of my life to Peter Parker to on several occasions. Fortunately, you expressed it first which makes me think you won manhood, son. Everybody gets a Gwen vs. a MJ scenario and that's the beauty of Spider-Man --- it's one phat assed allegory for growing pains. Good shit.

Anonymous said...

Hey mate, first of all I hope you have luck whit your loved one ;)

Then let me tell you that I also loved soooo ********* much Gwen Stacey but then I just forgot her lol & replaced her whit my hot red haired Mary :P Until now

Saludos Amigo!

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'