Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Every Man for Himself

A couple years ago I wrote an entry here that professed what I thought were the reasons men cheated. At that point in my life I'd only been with 4 four women seriously, The Constant... the Variable... the Substitute and the Candidate. (Sharp readers will be able to pick out each one from past entries on this very blog. Here's a hint. Cristen is The Constant.)

Even though I'd been with none of those women in an actual relationship for longer than 4 months and my clear penchant for random hookups, and week long flings, I believed I was travelled enough to right that blog.

This is not one of those situations where I look back and think I was silly then, I've just grown more and realize it's much deeper.

I've been with my current girlfriend seven months. This past weekend I realized something as I was out celebrating with some friends and this very exotic Egyptian girl sat next to me in the club and proceeded to fill my head with numerous reasons why I should go home with her.

Follow me.

Even though adultery has been around forever (hell, it's commandment number 7) but we still aren't any where close to cracking the mystery and I'm sure we never will.

1. You can get away with it.
The knowledge that no one will find out and no one will get hurt is reason enough for some men to grab a different entree. Hell, I know countless couples where the woman think she so smart that she KNOWS her man and she could tell if he was cheating on her. Idiots. The only downside to this one though; as men get craftier with avoiding detection, women get more sophisticated with detecting, not to mention boosting their network of spies, and the fact that cameras are EVERYWHERE now a days. I've seen a lot guys taken down via Facebook. Don't be a casualty, bro

2. It's Exciting
To some guys, women are sexual trophies. I used to be one. I've got a a bunch on my mantle. I even have old ethnic checklists and novelty sex goals. Men with this mindset have DEFINITELY already cheated. (I already admitted to ya'll I did once long ago) Some guys can't put the shotgun down and abandon the chase, the hunt. For others it may as simple as deciding to finally get a taco after months of pizza. Excitement.


3. No Sex

Who hasn't heard that the best way to get a woman to stop having sex with him is by marrying her? Well, in this day and age of couples living with each other before marriage *cough cough-coward's marriage cough-cough* Apparently, it seems long-term relationships seem to suck the sex drive out of many women, leaving men gasping for fulfillment. When the craving comes for more sex, a lot of guys will start "working late" more often.
Or it maybe that the sex has become boring. She doesn't want to try new things in bed. Or maybe she blatantly gave you a list of things you can never do. Some men don't want the mother of their children doing things that only a whore should do. Go figure.


4. She Cheated!
Working behind the bar I've heard plenty of stories of guys going astray because she slipped up, and the best way to get her back is go screw everything walking. (Not in my book though. I'd just dump her) Hell, I know guys that will stray if it even looks like another man has her fancy. Some guys are so hurt by one girl long time ago that they are still making new women pay for that first girl. Weird.

5. Ego Boost 
6. The Opportunity is RIGHT THERE
7. She doesn't turn you on anymore
I don't think... I can say it better than the late Patrice O'Neal did.



8. Your Girlfriend is ANNOYING
Most guys have woken up to find themselves with some female that thrives on making him feel like crap. Constant complaining, spoiled ways that her damn parents have installed into her, fighting all the time, etc. etc. Cheating seems to be the only cure for this type of domestic hell.

9. Girls let us
I don't even really think I have to explain this one. I see guys out here all the time with 4-5 different kids with 4-5 different mothers. It's the basis of accepting the position of 'bottom bitch'. Countless women keep forgiving infidelity, and it just keeps happening. If you let somebody walk over you, they will.

10. You don't care for her anymore
After a forever together, it seems you've lost all feeling for her. She just doesn't spark your imagination the way she used to, are maybe the guy is unhappy- whatever- since he once cared deeply for her he can't bring himself to cutting it off, because that will lead to something painful and messy. Makes no sense almost, right?

Anyway, I still feel the same way I do about cheating. I just felt like I understood more than I did a while back. Cheating by definition implies foulplay. You can't justify it and it's pointless. It's ALWAYS a sign that you are unhappy in your relationship, and if you're unhappy- address the problem or move on.

No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'