Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Cost of Living [Today]

Today is the greatest day I've never known. Can't live for tomorrow...
Folk like to say that I'm anarchistic...or nihilistic, that I'm cynical and I don't stand for anything.
Maybe. I'm actually none of these things at all.
I always like to think of myself as someone who only deals with the 'superficial things that really matter'... I still laugh at that.

Humanity is ridiculous.
My friend Christian used to live in an apartment, and in this apartment, some genius had decided to mount a fairly large double mirror on the wall opposite the shitter. So I couldn't take that shit without staring at myself. And it was there that I realized, that I'm never going to me more respectable than right here. You are now scrunching your face in confusion.

The point is I strongly believe that people take themselves too seriously.
You preen and you posture, you make love and war, you protest and stature... and you do it with such gravity and meaning.
When... everyday your very own biology makes you go look and feel ridiculous.

"Save the planet!" Like we matter to the planet. "Pro-this" "Pro-That" "Anti- this" "Fight for that"
Blah. Blah. Blah. Keep doing everything you can to build yourself up.
...except the "superficial things that really matter"
The higher you climb, the further you think you can run away from your nature. Maybe you need a mirror across from your shitter.


Maybe I'm pretty damn fatalistic...or maybe I'm an idiot in the guise of intellectual praise. Either way, I just wish people would re-think all their agendas.


Does this make any sense?

"There are two days in every week that we should not worry about, two days that should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One is yesterday, with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains. Yesterday has passed, forever beyond our control.

All the money in the world cannot bring back yesterday. We cannot undo a single act we performed. Nor can we erase a single word we've said - yesterday is gone!

The other day we shouldn't worry about is tomorrow, with its impossible adversaries, its burden, its hopeful promise and poor performance. Tomorrow is beyond our control.

Tomorrow's sun will rise either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds - but it will rise. And until it does, we have no stake in tomorrow, for it is yet unborn.

This leaves only one day - today. Any person can fight the battles of just one day. It is only when we add the burdens of yesterday and tomorrow that we break down.

It is not the experience of today that drives people mad - it is the remorse of bitterness for something which happened yesterday, and the dread of what tomorrow may bring.

Let us, therefore, live one day at a time!" -Anonymous

No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'