Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I'm a mad MAD man

Everyone knows that art imitates life. (or the other way around if you're Oscar Wilde.)

Far too often I've compared myself with certain fictional characters to paint a better picture of myself to others. Hell, the opening lines of my Google bio claims I'm Chandler Bing, and Barney Stinson. I am quite sardonic, able to offer a sarcastic comment at any given time over an actual appropriate response. I'm am known for my long and colorful sexual past, and the exploits and scandals in pursuit of sex. Both characters can represent my dominant fear of commitment... and slight hesitation of trusting the female race to exhibit any true exposure.

I like to think that at times I'm drenched in sinister wit which would explain my fascination with Mark Twain.
Unfortunately, I'm not as bright as Mark Twain. If I were, I wouldn't attract the caliber of women that I attract. I'd attract Dorthy Parkers.

I mean that in the literal, and the Prince ballad sense.

Recently, I've been watching the AMC television series, Mad Men. It is without a doubt amazing.
It starts off slow like most great TV shows- but eventually you realize the characters are pretty cool. (especially if you count the 1960's as one, because the era totally is.)

The protagonist of the series is Don Draper, played by Jon Hamm.
As I get older, I'm seeing I am totally Don Draper.
Draper is decent and chivalrous, or at least appears to be since he doesn't participate in the locker room style sex drenched conversations the other men on the show take part in. Draper is always put together- appearing 90% of the time in a modest slim gray suit. Draper has immaculate posture, and concrete composure under fire. It becomes obvious after watching the show for a while that all of his... not so glamorous qualities (his constant smoking, drinking and sporadic infidelity) are probably his way of dealing with inner turmoil.

Yeah. Tescadero totally does those things as well.
In fact, (and maybe because Draper is a serious character compared to Bing and Stinson) I see more of myself in Draper's actions than I do them. Yeah, Draper never shows a humorous side, and if he does it's a cryptic kind of comment or action towards someone. Draper also displays loyalty and discretion with people he considers friends (like keeping Sal's secret a secret.) He seems to develop strategies a lot, and even has a shady past. (Kind of reminiscent of The Great Gatsby, actually)

I've always been known as a guy who'll sleep around, and desire a plethora of women- without ever actually offering my heart to any of them. I have been, and constantly will be (despite my hostile attitude towards most of them) a solid vault. I'm pretty loyal... almost to the point where I question my own sanity for aligning myself with some of the fools I call friends. I may not smoke, but as a former bartending co-worker of mine said, I have a steel stomach. I'm a leader, (more so because I hate following) and often like Cyclops (from X-Men) my thought process is at its best in tense situations. I've discovered through life that the less time I have to think about a decision, the better that decision is.

I can go on and on, about Mr. Draper- and a couple other fictional characters, not because I'm into living fantasies- but rather mapping out my life- or how i may be later in life, through art... because it imitates life. Or something else... according to Wilde.

So, in other words- this had no actual point.

1 comment:

KrazY Blogger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'