Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Nothing to Live For #30DayMovieChallenge- Day 2: The Last Movie You Watched

I met Brian in the lunch line.
It was 1999. He asked me if I wanted my pudding. I'm a bit particular about my food flavors, and tapioca isn't on the 'yes' list.

Fast friends, as often troubled folk are attracted to one another. Brian was the namesake of an elder brother that was killed 17 years prior, Somehow he never stepped out of the shadow of his ghost brother he never met.

He was the first person to say "I don't give a fuck" in front of me; and still to this day is the only person I believed. 

I hadn't thought of Brian for years. Until I saw John Wick. Keanu Reeves returned to the action genre as Wick, aka The Boogeyman, a legendary mob assassin. John retired from his violent life, and settled with a woman who soon after died from an unrevealed illness. John falls into a great depression, and it isn't until he receives a gift, a puppy, from his lover posthumously that life starts to look up. As fate would have it though, the dog is senseless ly murdered by some foolish thieves with ties to his old life. 

I started thinking about Brian because he would often talk about his life, and how he didn't want to be here anymore. By here, he meant Earth. I thought about ambition, and happiness, and that spark we all have that gives us purpose, gives us that hunger for more. 

Brian's purpose was basketball. He loved that game. Obviously more than he loved himself, because after a car accident took the athleticism out of his leg, he killed himself. 

As I was watching John Wick, and its intentional blue hues, and violently delicious choreography, I thought about what happens when that spark we all have is snatched away by circumstances beyond your control. I remember the girls I  hung with adored Brian when he was the school star.  I wasn't exactly a friend of Brian, but I remember talking to him in that cafeteria about how disgusting tapioca is, and days later, he wouldn't be here anymore. 

I wonder...  What my spark is. 

"And from that day forward, Frog-Child and Snake-Child never played together again. By they often sat alone in the sun, thinking about their one day of friendship. "
-African Folk Tale, The Children's Book of Virtue 
Movie: John Wick (2014)
Director: Chad Stahelski
Genre: Action, Shoot 'Em Up
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Willem Dafoe, Alfie Allen
Netflix: Not Yet


No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'