Thursday, November 20, 2014

Because You Were Home. #30DayMovieChallenge -Day 4: Your Favorite Horror Movie

"...Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."
                                                           -Alfred Pennyworth (The Dark Knight, 2008)

Jason NEVER scared me.
Freddy was a comedian. Chucky was a ridiculously stupid concept. Mike Myers was just confusing. I've never been moved by America's concept of 'horror' to be honest, Maybe it was because my mother watched a crap load of horror films with me when I was a kid, or maybe that was the first signs of non emotional personality. Who knows?
Then I saw 'The Shining' and while the majority wasn't really a big deal to me, there was one scene that stood out in my head. That really bothered me down to my core.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"

Years later I saw another film (coincidentally by the same director of 'The Shining') called 'Eyes Wide Shut' another passable film, up until the part where Tom Cruise is about to be raped, saved in the nick of time, and then stalked by an anonymous sex group. That creeped me the hell out. It was then that I realized, if I'm to enjoy horror, or any thriller- it has to be in the scope of reality. Nothing is more terrifying than the evils and perversions that actually happen in life. Several movies have perfectly displayed situations that can happen on any day in our reality, 'Seven', 'Silence of the Lambs', are two. The film that happens to be my favorite however, was a little film in 2008 called 'The Strangers'

The film is about a couple that are staying in vacation house in remote location, when suddenly in the wee hours of the morning. a girl knocks on the door asking if some other person is home.

When the couple denies her inquiry, she returns later- this time far more aggressive. What ensues is an hour long game of cat and mouse between the couple and three mysterious individuals who have invaded the house and sabotaged any method of escape, or ability to contact help. The cherry on top of all of this is revealed at the end, when the couple is incapacitated by the three individuals (who we never see their face because the are masked) and reveal that this is happening simply because the couple was home. Then the intruders stab the couple numerous times for shits and giggles.

"Because you were home."

The movie was kinda panned, but damn if that isn't scary as fuck. Someone who just wants to maim you just because your shirt had a v neck, or whatever, is terrifying. Random, uncontrollable violence for no rhyme or reason. Fuck.

Some men just want to see the world burn, indeed. 
And those men... keep me awake at night. 

Movie: The Strangers (2008)
Director: Bryan Bertino
Genre: Horror. Slasher
Starring: Liv Tyler, Scott Speedman
Netflix Streaming: No

No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'