Saturday, May 16, 2009

Entry: Stranger In A Strange Land [The Real World]

Lately, I've been feeling blah...

I'm living in a neighborhood where everyday two kids walk either to or from school- rapping Lil' Wayne lyrics at the top of their voices past my window. (which if you've seen where I sleep is amazing and ridiculous)
It seems as though the charm I had too much of in my early 20's has expired because almost every person I meet does something that is just WEIRD to me. I was on the bus the other day at 2 in the morning and there was a pregnant woman (whom I heard her admit to her friend how the club they left earlier was wack and she spilled her drink on whatever girl had bumped into her) who was accompanied by her friend and what I can only assume was her two children. Surprisingly the bus was packed, and I didn't really see the validity in getting up to offer her the seat. I figured that if she could be pregnant and out with her kids at 2 in the morning, then she can stand up. Naturally some of the other riders didn't not share my perspective. So I got off the bus before I was ejected from the bus.

As some of you have been aware, earlier this year I decided to get back into bartending-so I started working at three places, while I absorb myself in the return to school. Long story short, one of the places was socially enjoyable but a colossal waste of my time. (and I strongly mean that in the upmost of lexical ways) It was at this particular place [that shall remain nameless because smear campaigns aren't my bag.] that a party was held for some gogo band which is like DC's thing. I wasn't impressed with the music nor the crowd it drew- especially the girl that requested the merLOT and fifteen minutes later dance-*ahem* have sex, with some guy she had just met on my bar. At this same establishment, I was accused of a deed so disturbing (especially if you know me- or know my lifestyle) that it almost tempted me to act out of character. So I quit until further notice.

Later on that day, I enlisted the help of the entire mod squad of drinking to attempt to celebrate a plethora of things. Amidst the adventure in the bar though, I was accosted by this girl who without the slightest of greeting or introduction demanded I buy her a drink- and once I agreed, also wanted one for her friend. I wasn't in the slightest attracted to the girl, yet to humor myself- I complied. Needless to say she took her glass and vanished without a trace. I then proceeded to drink until dawn...literally.

The next day- I awoke and was invited to go to the bar with a good friend of mine whose life was in shambles recently. But with a little patience (and just blatantly him having more resources- and more disciplined than I in the areas that matter.) he cleaned his shit up. And while we were drinking ourselves into oblivion, just before he realizes he's drunk he turns to me and says, despite all your shit, and douchebagness, comedic rants and random coincidental life, you make the most sense.


And all I could do was smile. Because I think maybe I do make sense. Maybe I am the odd man out but I'm not wrong. The majority is.

Maybe it's because I am determined to live my life to the fullest while at the same time, maintaining a certain level of personal dignity, which I expect everyone else to want as well. I don't know. But as I walked home, I realized that yeah, I do make a lot of sense.

So yeah. This was a shameless pat on MY back. (I think)

"I found out something I never knew. I found out that my world was not the real world." Robert F. Kennedy, 1968.

No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'