Friday, February 3, 2012

30 Days/30 Songs. Day 21: A Song That You Listen to When You’re Happy

Everybody Wants to Rule the World
- Tears For Fears.

Oddly enough, this is not a happy song. In 1985, British group, Tears For Fears released this song, which speaks of the darker nature that most of us harbor.

Y'know...
That part of us that wants to make it to the top, or some how control the environment that we live in. That awful desire that shows no prejudice, from the poorest with few belongings to the rich and all the power that their money gives them. It seems that we all want power and want to get ahead. From running to get ahead of the next guy in a food line, to a country making "strategic" decisions in order to take advantage of a lesser neighbor country. If given the chance, we would all want to rule the world. This song is is all about that darker part of humanity, the wanting of power- the warfare and misery it causes. The part that is always trying to getting ahead of your fellow man.

But damned if musically it doesn't sound like a campy, magical, synthpop audible odyssey. This catchy tune has always been my goofy, happy song. (Wait, is it because I'm happy when I think of obtaining power?) From the trip home back from war, to getting promoted, to receiving my first financial bonus. How can you not listen to this in any other mood than happiness?

How can you not listen to this song, and not sing along with that pleading, "Say that you'll never, never, never, never need it"??

Ya'll trippin'
Tears For Fears killed this one. Despite it's dark message- this is a happy ass song. The song to go to when I'm in a 'smiling' sort of mood. It always has been, and I think it always will be.



No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'