Wednesday, February 1, 2012

30 Songs/30 Days. Day 20: A Song that you Listen to When You’re Angry


Space Oddity - David Bowie

First, let me explain why.
I rarely get angry. Disappointed, yes. Sad. Yes. Frustrated, yes. But angry? No. Even in the midst of a fist fight I'm fundamentally apathetic. I hate being angry because it usually tips over to the more misanthropic side, a feeling I've been trying to shake for years.

This song, written during the height of the space race, is more about Bowie's looming alienation than space travel- at least I like to think so. (Although, I admit at later listens I thought it was was about being high on drugs.) This is a romanticized conception of casting out from the normal crowd and becoming something new and different.

In the song, astronaut Major Tom, the main character, departs from Earth on a space mission which turns out to be successful. However for unknown reasons he breaks contact with Ground Control and casually slips the bonds of the world to journey beyond the stars. His last transmission to Ground Control is "Tell my wife, I love her very much" and the response is that "she knows"

Whatever that feeling is that would push a man to leave everything behind and go off onto his own journey alone is the exact feeling I have EVERY time I get angry. I've never been one to argue much with folk- and I have thrown it all away and disappeared from 'my life'

Actually I've done it several times. If it weren't for Cristen's interference in 2004. I'd probably still be doing it.



No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'