Wednesday, February 15, 2012

30 Days/30 Songs. Day 24: A Song You Want to Play at Your Funeral

Cloud Smiles - Nobuo Uematsu

Yesterday, I told you people shit on video game music.
The people I spoke of probably have never heard of the musical GENIUS that is Nobuo Uematsu.

Let me school you. (AND I BEHOOVE YOU TO CLICK THESE LINKS AND LISTEN.)

As far as video games, Square-Enix's Final Fantasy series has constantly set the standard through amazing, breathtaking art, stories, characters, and music. My God, I can't talk to you for DAYS about the soundtracks to some of the entries in the Final Fantasy series.

And here's the kicker. Most of these beauties were composed by ONE guy. Mr. Nobuo Uematsu.


There is NOT a soul on Earth that wasn't moved to tears back in '97 on Final Fantasy VII when the character Aerith Gainsborough was brutally murdered by the remorseless Sephiroth. They weren't moved solely on the act itself, they were moved because of the leitmotif, 'エアリスのテーマ (Earisu no Tēma)' or simply, 'Aerith's Theme', that accompanied her passing. Oh, that opening piano. Jeez. Anyone who tells you they saw that murder and heard that song, then saw her burial and wasn't a little fucked up about that is a FUCKING LIAR.

Hell, I'll even throw in that 'Zanarkand' number from Final Fantasy X. Fucking beautiful music.

In 2003, when Uematsu was tasked to revisit the Final Fantasy VII franchise for the film, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, he did so with a fury. Besides pretty much re-arranging and enhancing many of the classics he blessed us with on the original soundtrack of the game Final Fantasy VII, he added some new tracks. One of them was the powerful 'Cloud Smiles' which starts out with a feigned melancholy spirit and picks up as the... no. I won't tell you about it. Go listen.


If I had the power to control the celebration of my life, it would go as follows:
No casket.
A solo table with an old fashioned glass of ice, a bottle of Jack Daniel's, a bottle Coke. Next to that, a shot of Jameson.
A picture of me having fun.

No drawn out theatrics, no crying and pouring out of hearts about regrets. Just silence, and that damn song. Then everyone go home.

No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'