Tuesday, February 14, 2012

30 Days/30 Songs. Day 23: A Song that You Want to Play at Your Wedding

Dearly Beloved - Yoko Shimomura

People shit on video game music.
People use words when they don't really need them. Music is the GREATEST example of this travesty. (Especially rap music)

Ok. I'm digressing...
Back in 2002, a video game was released. It was called Kingdom Hearts. The game was a product of the Square-Enix monster. (More on that later... as in, tomorrow) When it came to the soundtrack, Square turned to Japanese composer, Yoko Shimomura., who already had a couple impressive game soundtracks under HER belt, including the legendary Street Fighter II
When you begin the game, at the opening menu, a touching piano piece plays which in a way foreshadows the loving, yet sad tale that is about to unfold. This was how I first heard 'Dearly Beloved' which is arguably the best song on the whole damn game, even though it was light-hearted and a little (and I mean just a little) empty. As pleasant as the song was, it wasn't until 2005 that she tweaked it for Kingdom Hearts 2 and I immediately fell in love with the piece.


In the second version of the song, it has grown up. She added an orchestra, and the richness, the quality of the song just... enhances. It suddenly feels as though the meaning behind the work truly shines as the sounds of waves slide across sandy shores, dancing along the cello, and that piano. Truly amazing... and in my opinion one of the prettiest love songs I've ever heard. Apparently I'm not alone in that line of thought, think I'm lying? Go YouTube the song right now.

I've sat in on discussions before where people talk about the 'perfect song' to play at a wedding. It's always an argument about the mood isn't appropriate for Song X or Song B doesn't say the right thing. I've always thought to myself that's because sometimes the best thing in a situation is just understanding. Don't try to talk it out or be poetic. Let the music speak for itself. That's why this is my song for my particular occasion. No words are needed. None should be said. Everything you need to know lies within the title, and the music itself.

Give it a listen. Lie to me and say you disagree. (...and don't steal my idea.)

1 comment:

Brneyed1 said...

Wow Tony, this is a beautiful song! I would never had heard it if not for your blog.

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'