Sunday, January 29, 2012

30 Days/30 Songs. Day 19: A Song from your Favorite Album

Let's Go Crazy -Prince (and the Revolution)


"Dearly Beloved..." Prince seductively declares over a funeral organ.
 
"We are gathered here today to get through this thing called LIFE.
Electric word, 'life' it means: forever.and that's a mighty long time...but I'm here to tell ya, there's something else...
The afterworld. A world of never ending happiness. You can always see the sun; day, or night..."

Suddenly the eulogy for 'this thing called life' picks up and we are invited to a celebration of daily opposition of de-elevators and words of misplaced authority by Dr. Everything Will Be Alright.

Exactly. Let's Go Crazy.
This song opens up my favorite album of all time, and invites the listener to shrug off all expectations of what's coming and just enjoy the experience. Not my favorite song on the album, but definitely stands out as one of the most important ones.


I thought it was awesome when I heard Public Enemy's 1990 single 'Brothers Gonna Work It Out' and recognized the sample from Prince's guitar solo. Dopeness.
I also heard that the Minnesota Twins play this song whenever someone hits a homerun. Props to Minnesota I suppose.

He's coming.
Take me away!

1 comment:

Essence Renata said...

Epic album. It's my fav Prince album. My favorite song is The Beautiful Ones, I also really really really, love the instrumental at the end of Purple Rain.

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'