Sunday, August 22, 2010

30 Days, 30 Letters- Day 27: The Friendliest Person You Knew for Only One Day

Dear Tom,
I met you on... May 20, 2007. 
Yeah, that was it. I will always remember you because I was going through a particular rough patch when you limped into the bar I served tables at. When I got to you, you told me don't worry about it- and ordered a shot of something clear from the bartender. You called me over, and I pulled out my pad to take your order. 
However, that wasn't your plan. 
You decided to talk to me about me, then you... how you were from Havre, Montana moved to New York and spent 20 years on the NYPD, where you injured your knee. You said that you chose me to talk to because I looked like a 'great believer'...when I asked of what, you replied, "of the impossibilities of life"
Then as you left and I helped you to your cab you told me:
"Let it go. You're doing the things you're supposed to do. Life is playing out the way it's supposed to. The only mistakes are the choices you neglect to acknowledge as things to learn from. Everyone has a purpose. Purpose is life's use of people. No purpose, no use for you. The proof of these things are that you are still alive."


Dude. 
You just don't know how much I needed to hear those words. I've held onto those words and have only gotten better. Thanks to your kind spirit. I hope you are doing great. I don't really regret much in life, but I do regret not being able to show you the kind of love you showed me. Who knows what I would've done to myself or others had you not walked into that bar, that day. 


Keep the faith, 
-Tesco.

No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'