Friday, January 13, 2012

30 Days/30 Songs. Day 10: A Song that Makes You Fall Asleep

In A Sentimental Mood - Duke Ellington (feat. John Coltrane)

I make playlists in iTunes for various occasions. Except sex. I do NOT have a sex soundtrack. I'm not focused, or smooth enough to have set the mood music in the background.

I tried once, but the playing of Usher's 'Burn', Dionne Farris' 'Hopeless', and Foreigner's 'I Want to Know What Love Is' really confused the girl I was with.

I am however quite skilled at creating playlists for parties and doing homework, and more importantly- to drift away to snoozetown.

My Sleep through the Static playlist has survived 4 computers and been burned by at least 6 friends. The most important song on the playlist?

In a Sentimental Mood by the Duke.
What can you say about this song that hasn't already been said about your best orgasm? Far from being one of the Duke's better compositions- it definitely goes down as one of his most recognizable. This particular version also features another jazz legend, John Coltrane, and his mighty saxophone. Most people probably recognize this piece from the 1997 film, Love Jones. It was also included on the soundtrack.

An amazing tidbit about this song is that it was composed on the spot to help his friend put two lady friends in a more subtle mood. Wow.
Even though the song's intent was not to make me fall asleep, something about listening to this song at the end of a long day, laying in bed makes me feel like that is its sole intention.
And before you know it, I'm out.

No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'