Thursday, January 12, 2012

30 Days/30 Songs. Day 9: A Song You Can Dance To

Dance Tonight - Lucy Pearl

Man, I don't dance anymore. 'anymore' because the last time I danced well, it was 1988 with my Uncle Dwayne and we were watching Breakin'

Ever since being a B-Boy stopped being cool in the late 80's I haven't really danced. Well...maybe that one time when Chubb Rock's 'Treat 'Em Right' dropped... but nope. Tony T. doesn't do the dancing. I don't care what airhead folk ya'll know that got it in their head that dancing equates to 'great in bed' because I don't dance and I have not received any complaints in that area.

However, there is ONE exception to this rule. That exception came in the year 2000. A little before I entered the military, former Tony! Toni! Toné! member Raphael Saadiq hooked up with Dawn Robinson, (formerly of En Vogue) and Ali Shaheed Muhammad (formerly of A Tribe Called Quest) to form Lucy Pearl. How awesome does that shit sound?

The group wouldn't last long- (unfortunately) but before they left us, they dropped their first single, 'Dance Tonight' man. That song, that group- was so soulful, so rhythm and blues, while so feel good. It just had a really good sound that hadn't been heard by my ears in a while. Maybe what made it worse for me was this was the last song I heard before entering my 10 week long basic training for the Navy. For 10 weeks this played in my head.

It was the first song I played when I graduated boot camp. I danced on the train ride back to base. (well... no I didn't but I definitely bopped my head and tapped my foot. Them passengers knew I had a groove going on)

To this day, this song brings that feeling of no worries over me.
And it probably will forever.


Title: Dance Tonight
Artist: Lucy Pearl
Album: Lucy Pearl
Released: May 23, 2000

Buy Here




No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'