Friday, January 20, 2012

30 Songs/30 Days. Day 14: A Song Nobody Would Expect You to Love

The Show - Lenka (acoustically covered by Kerris Dorsey)

This song reminds me of that line from Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing it goes:

"All the world's a stage, and the men and women merely players..."

This is another song that I heard a couple times and didn't pay much attention, (I thought it was cute and that's about it) only to hear an acoustic cover by the young actress Kerris Dorsey in the film 2011 film, Moneyball.

Like I said, I heard the song before- but it was something about watching that movie that amplified the meaning of the song. Especially that-'You're such a loser, Dad' replacement. (see the movie. Or...my earlier post) The meaning- which kind of reminds me of a Brad Pitt quote, (who coincidentally is the star of the film) which goes:

"I embrace the messiness of life. I find it so beautiful, actually" (said to GQ magazine in 2005)


The meaning, that life is often unsettling and hard to figure out, sometimes leaving you overwhelmed. She compares life itself to a show, which we all are in the audience of. A lot of people are disgruntled with life. Life hasn't been good to them. This song, a show is a metaphor for life, and some people "want their money back." They want a refund on their life because they feel like they've been cheated. She responds to them by saying "Just enjoy the show."
We are all in this audience, we all have ups and downs, failures and victories. (sometimes we have victories that feel like failures) It's because of this we all have to live in the moment. Don't fret over life's twists and turns, it's uncertainty. These things are are part of life.

Just embrace them and be happy.



No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'