Sunday, January 8, 2012

30 Days/30 Songs. Day 5: A Song that Reminds You of Someone.

"Sitting, Waiting, Wishing" -Jack Johnson

I can't even pretend that this song reminds me of any particular person at this point. At this chapter in my life, it reminds me of EVERY woman I've ever considered leaping into that final frontier with. I remember that night in March of 2005, when I first heard it. Cristen and I were going through our usual passive aggressive spats, and I sat in my bedroom in a semi morose mood, watching the insomniac music videos on Vh1. Then the video for this song came on, and it was so unique that I had to finish watching it, because my initial thought was to change the channel.

As I watched, I listened to what he was saying, and I've been a fan ever since. (Hell my blog is named after his album) Jack has a way with describing complicated situations in the most simple ways. The song is about a man who loves a woman very much, but his approaches are denied over and over again. The man feels that they are meant to be together and despite how he feels about her, she keeps giving him the run-around. This is particularly evident in the line "building me up, you keep shooting me down". Eventually he realizes he is getting tired of loving her while getting nothing in return, and that she is just playing him for a fool.

Even though originally felt that this song described Cristen and my time together, it eventually became the theme for just about every woman I've ever felt strongly for.

...maybe I need to fall for better women.

*siiigh*


The video is really cool too. Check it out.









Title: Sitting, Waiting, Wishing
Artist: Jack Johnson
Album: In Between Dreams
Released: March 1, 2005

Buy Here






No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'