Sunday, January 15, 2012

30 Days/30 Songs. Day 12: A Song From a Band You Hate

This one was easy. I could have simply said anything from Young Money/Cash Money... but that would've been too easy.

I decided to interpret the question- by asking myself what song do I like from a band I simultaneously hate. Okay. I came up with two. (Although one isn't a group. ...but then again,  the other one technically isn't the group they claim to be)

Heartbreaker - will.i.am.

I'm not a Black Eyed Peas fan at all. In fact, I've never enjoyed any of their songs post adding Fergie to the group. I don't despise them... I just don't get down to their hits. I think they're cheesy as fuck. However, this particular song was played over, and over at this bar I used to work at. Until one day I actually discovered that I went on iTunes and bought it.

Damn if this shit ain't catchy. But it's just as equally corny. lol
(the video featured some chick named Cheryl Cole that's not on the album version)







the second and the one I originally thought of was:

Angels - Diddy/Dirty Money (feat. The Notorious B.I.G.)

The sole reason I technically hate Dirty Money is because it's a blatant ruse. Diddy, I respect you but those broads are nothing more but glorified backup singers.

At least that's the way I see it.
Until they drop their own album without your name attached to it, I can't really see them as a 'group' Ok. Maybe I'm being harsh. There were several times on 'their' album, Last Train to Paris where the girls are showcased.

Speaking of Last Train to Paris,  I did enjoy the offering. Mostly because I didn't expect to be BLOWN away lyrically, I expected great production, feel good dance hip-hop dance, or drive down I-95 doin a buck music. That's exactly what I got.

Can't really be mad at that.

Anyway, I first heard Angels long before the album was finally released, and I immediately recognized the Jay-Z 'Where I'm From' sample, (which is really a sample in itself of 'Bad Bad Man' by Fat Joe) and I was compelled to listen further- then I heard my boy Biggie with a recycled verse from 'My Downfall' followed by Diddy and his 'glorified backup singers' croon out a tale of toxic love.

A lot of people hated it. I liked it, despite my feelings towards the group. I thought the video was cool too.
When the album was finally released, imagine my surprise to see it had been destroyed by a verse from Rick Ross added post it's release as a single.

Ugh. at least we'll always have the original on the video.



Title: Angels (feat. The Notorious B.I.G.)
Artist: Diddy- Dirty Money
Album: Last Train to Paris
Released: December 14, 2010


No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'