Thursday, January 19, 2012

30 Days/30 Songs. Day 13: A Song That is a Guilty Pleasure

Butcher Pete  (Part 1 of 2)      -Roy Brown

I don't care what nobody says.
This is my shit.
When I first heard it, I wasn't moved. Years later, I heard it again- on a video game of all places. (Fallout 3)

I had to have played that game at least 12 times. So that means I heard this song about 195 times in one year. More specifically 195 times in 6 months.

But that's not why this song is my guilty pleasure. Sure, this song is early blues/R&B... but the true reason doesn't come until after you hear this song 3 or 4 times and REALLY listen to what's going on here.
Song about a butcher? What can be so bad?


Hey everybody, did the news get around
About a guy named Butcher Pete
Oh, Pete just flew into this town
And he's choppin' up all the women's meat

[Chorus]
He's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
He's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
He's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
He just hacks, wacks, choppin' that meat

Butcher Pete's got a long sharp knife
He starts choppin' and don't know when to stop
All you fellows betta watch your wifes
'Cause Pete don't care who's meat he chops


..and that's just a quarter of the tale. (There's 2 parts of the song- and THAT'S just a portion of Part 1)
Sure, there are plenty of old blues songs that were either horrifically violent, or sexually explicit, but Roy Brown wasn't satisfied with one or the other. He decided to just cleverly do BOTH. If you couldn't figure it out, "Butcher Pete" is about a guy who goes around the countryside "chopping up all the women's meat" with his "long sharp knife." Still don't get it? Wow you're dense. This is a rare example where hiding the sexual content behind double entendres and innuendo somehow can make something a thousand times more offensive. Especially when you get to the jail anal rape part. Wait...

what?


No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'