Monday, January 9, 2012

30 Days/30 Songs. Day 6: A Song that Reminds You of Somewhere

Around the World - Daft Punk

Daft Punk is beyond amazing. I think there's a Daft Punk song for almost every occasion in life.

In my opinion, this particular Daft Punk song fit for most of my war training during 2002.

Every time I hit the gym, every time I fired a rifle, (whether my target was a paper bullseye, or human flesh) the soundtrack to accompany these events was 'Around the World'

Something about that jovial, yet steady bass line- that robotic voice singing 'around the world' over and over again, yet not not so much that it's annoying. When you dissect the song, and realize how simple it is, then you discover the genius of it.

It always seemed to take my mind off of the fact that I was kicking in doors, when I was...well, kicking in doors. I remember first hearing it in high school, but I couldn't fully get down with it. It wasn't until I was doing some hardcore PT in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina running in leather combat boots, doing push-ups in the mud, and that's the memory this song brings me every time I hear it now. Training for war.

There I was blasting this into my ears my tiny little Sony Mini Disc, and it motivated the hell out of my workout. Because as any seasoned vet will tell you, war... and combat, like dancing- is done to a rhythm.   To this day, this song is the first song on any playlist I make that I listen to in my uniform.

When I hit the ground in Afghanistan, this ushered my arrival. It is my war anthem. It helps my apathy.


...and the video is one of the greatest videos ever. I love how the dancers represent a vinyl record.


Title: Around the World
Artist: Daft Punk
Album: Homework
Released: March 25, 1997

Buy Here





No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'