Friday, January 6, 2012

30 Days/30 Songs. Day 3: A Song that Makes You Happy

Bohemian Rhapsody -Queen

Such a controversially legendary song.
I strongly believe that it's impossible to listen to this song without smiling or singing along at some point. I don't care what's going on, whenever I hear this played I must stand up and belt out the words as if I'm in the band too. It's energetic, it's moving- it's POWERFUL. Rock the fuck out. Even as I type this, I'm listening to it- barely containing the urge to air guitar.

Who knows what was going through the mind of Queen's frontman, Freddie Mercury when he sat down and penned Bohemian Rhapsody? I mean, seriously can you think of another modern day song that is as complex as this one? Don't even bother. You cannot.
The song is constructed with a hypnotic intro, followed by a melancholy like ballad, then an electrictrfying guitar solo, a vibrant opera, and a solid hard rock portion, only to end with a peaceful outro. Wow. Like a roller coaster ascends a hill, the song begins, slowly building up and then Boom! The excitement unleashes into an energetic atom bomb. It's easy to see why some people regard Freddie Mercury as one of the greatest voices in rock history. Keep in mind, we have yet to discuss the fatalistic lyrical content of the song.
Fuckin' poetry.
It has been said that it's a tale about a man that has accidentally killed someone and much like Faust, has sold his soul to the devil. On the night of his execution, the man cries out to God and his angels, come and rescue the man's soul from the Devil. Maybe the song is about a man that has committed an impulsive murder and faces an epiphany before his punishment of death. The band remains hush over the songs meaning, only hinting that the song was a veiled reference to Mercury's personal traumas.


Will we ever know?
Probably not.
Sometimes things are not meant to be understood. Sometimes it's real life...sometimes it's fantasy. Just press play and enjoy.

Title: Bohemian Rhapsody
Artist: Queen
Album: A Night At The Opera
Released: November 21, 1975

Buy Here

No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'