Saturday, January 14, 2012

30 Days/30 Songs. Day 11: A Song From Your Favorite Band

17 Days 
(The rain will come down, then U will have 2 choose. If U believe, look 2 the dawn and U shall never lose.)
-Prince (& The Revolution)

Talk about long ass song titles. 
That's legit the original title of the song. Although on further releases of the song simply called it '17 Days' This song was originally released as a B-side to 'When Doves Cry' (which was the lead single from Purple Rain) it wasn't released on an album until much later on Prince's greatest hits album. 

And although the song, (much like most of the songs credited to 'Prince & The Revolution') was written and produced mostly by Prince, it was originally credited to the entire band. So I don't feel like a complete cheater using this as a song from my favorite band. Because let's face it. Prince is fucking awesome. 

If I had to choose an all-around favorite artist of all time, Prince wins hands down. 
Anyway, this song- refers to how long it's been since Prince's former lover left him for someone else, leaving with "twp cigarettes and this broken heart of mine" For such a lyrically sad song, it definitely is the shit. 

I once saw an online video of Prince performing this song at his Welcome 2 tour last year. In the video, he also blends elements of Teena Marie's 'Lovergirl' and extra instrumentation. 

I've heard people say he originally wrote this for Vanity 6, but when Vanity left he kept it for himself. I guess he recognized it's genius. 
As far as legacy goes, the song would later go on to be sampled by MC Lyte for her hit, "Paper Thin"

Title: 17 Days
Artist: Prince (& The Revolution)
Album: (B-Side to When Doves Cry) / The Hits/The B-SidesReleased: March 16, 1984 / Sept. 14, 1993


Buy Here

No comments:

"My dreams were all my own, I accounted to them to nobody; they were my refuge when annoyed- my dearest pleasure when free." -Mary Shelley; 'Frankenstein' or 'The Modern Prometheus'